Friday, January 20, 2012

Amunt Valencia a la victoria

Soccer is the sport of the world. There is really no debate about that. However, there is an argument about which county has the best league. Majority of the world would argue that the English Premier League is the best, but that's because they have the most money and TV deals. Some from South America would say that either Brazil or Argentina is home to the best league mainly because they produce arguably the best players in the world on a more consistent basis than any other countries in the world. If you ask me, I'd tell you that Spain's La Liga is the best. The game is fluid, quick and entertaining.
Within La Liga and La Liga Segunda, there is a tournament called La Copa del Rey, or the Kings Cup. The Copa games are usually played during the week while La Liga is played on the weekends. This past week two big matches were played. The first was El Clasico, Barcelona against Real Madrid. The second, Valencia versus Levante, the Valencian derby. Both games were to move onto the Quarter Finals, and definitely goals were to be scored.
Wednesday night hosted El Clasico, Real Barca. When these two teams meet, it is always destine to be a great match. Since I couldn't attend the match myself, I decided to watch it at a bar. Due to an earlier event, I missed the first half, but at the same time I met some cool locals at the first bar I was at. When I finally found a bar that was playing the game, I went in. The bar was packed, every seat was filled, the bar full and people were standing outside watching the game. I made my way through the doors and went straight to the bar for a beer just in time for the start of the second half. Since the beer they had on tap was Estrella Damm, I figured there would be more Barca supporters, and I was right. In the first half, Cristano Ronald netted an amazing goal with his signature step-over putting Madrid up 1-0. The score remained that way until the half.
As I got my beer, I stood at the bar. Every persons' eyes were glued to the TV watching every play reacting to every opportunity, myself included. Shortly after the start of the second half, Carlos Puyol netted the equalizer with a spectacular diving header off the corner kick. Majority of the people in the bar went wild with cheers. Actually, everyone in the city went wild. As the second half played out, Barca dominated the half creating far more chances than Real Madrid. Around the 80th minute, Barca proved to be too strong with Erik Abidal breaking the deadlock. Once again, the city exploded with cheers. While I wanted Real to win, I was stoked to be in the environment enjoying a good beer.
The next day saw another edition of the Valencian derby, Valencia against Levante, the two clubs that play in the city of Valencia. This year in La Liga, Levante is having a pretty good year. currently they sit in fourth place behind their neighbors, Valencia. Being the first home game since I've been in Valencia, I had to go, and the fact that it was a derby made it even more attractive. The school I attend here is literally right around the corner from the Mestalla, and boy is that stadium cool. It's old but it is grand. The match started at 9:30 but the area around the stadium had been getting set up since early that morning. I arrived at the stadium around 9:15 joining the mass crowd, wearing my Valencia scarf, around the stadium. After going in, looking for our seats was a bit of challenge but the locals helped us out and we found out seats just before kick off.
Smoked filled the air from all the cigars being smoked inside the stadium. The seats were in the middle tier near one of the corner flags. From the start, Valencia was controlling the game. They kept knocking on the door and it was evident that they were going to score first. In the 25th minute, Jonas netted the opener and the crowd went wild. Valencia kept knocking while the only chances Levante had were off the counter. In the 32nd minute, star striker Roberto Soldado netted the second for Valencia putting them ahead 2-0. Valencia kept pushing forward but Levante eventually got one back in the 38th off an amazing strike from Kone making it 2-1 Valencia. Then in 46th minute, Piatti scored off a 50-50 ball between him and goalie, 3-1 Valencia going into the half. Three goals scored right in front of where I was sitting!
Valencia is the only club in Spain that still has their band play at every match. This is was very interesting to learn about and see. During half time, they played around the pitch. Deciding to walk around, I saw a couple members of the band after their performance and took a picture with them. They were more than willing and cool people. On the way back to the seat, I saw the mascot and got a picture with him too.
The second half proved to be no different than the first as Valencia continued to control the game. Tensions started to flare as the the challenges and tackles got a little bit harder. A total of 11 yellow cards were handed out between the two teams. The score remained 3-1 throughout the half, until the 91st minute. Right before the final whistle, Costa put the dagger in the heart of Levante making the final score 4-1 Valencia. Talk about a goal fest!
Now Valencia will face Barcelona in the quarters. It is a tough challenge ahead of Los Che, but I think, and hope, they can pull out the victory.
¡¡AMUNT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment